Confederate Memorial Hall Museum
Confederate Memorial Hall is a museum located in New Orleans, Louisiana containing historical artifacts related to the Confederate States of America and the American Civil War. It is historically also known as “Memorial Hall”. It houses the second largest collection of Confederate Civil War items in the world. The museum is also known as Louisiana’s Civil War Museum at Confederate Memorial Hall.
The museum’s building is known as the “Battle Abbey of the South” due to its elaborate stained glass windows and distinctive church-like architecture. It is the oldest continually active museum in Louisiana.
One of the oldest homes in Louisiana, Destrehan Plantation was constructed beginning in 1787 and completed in 1790, during the period of Spanish rule. Robert Antoine Robin de Logny contracted with Charles Pacquet, a mulatto carpenter, to build a raised house in the West Indies or Creole style, with outbuildings to support his indigo plantation. Pacquet was given the use of six slaves to construct the home. The building contract, still on file at the St. Charles Parish courthouse in Hahnville, makes the Destrehan Plantation house the oldest documented house in the lower Mississippi River Valley.
(Ladies Tour & Luncheon)
The Beauregard-Keyes House is a historic residence located in the French Quarter. It is currently a museum focusing on some of the past residents of the house, most notably Confederate General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard and American author Frances Parkinson Keyes.
The home was designed by François Correjolles and built by James Lambert in 1826 for auctioneer Joseph LeCarpentier.
By 1865, the home was purchased by a local grocer named Dominique Lanata, who rented it out until 1904. His first tenants were the Beauregards. Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard married his second wife, Caroline Deslonde, in 1860. Caroline was the daughter of André Deslonde, a sugar planter from St. James Parish. The newlyweds honeymooned briefly in the house. Mrs. Beauregard died in 1864.
After the American Civil War, Beauregard returned to 1113 Chartres Street and lived in the house from 1866 to 1868.
American author Frances Parkinson Keyes purchased the house at 1113 Chartres Street and made it her residence. While living at the house, Keyes wrote numerous books, one of which was set in the house and included Beauregard as a character: Madame Castel's Lodger. The 1962 novel explored Beauregard's emotional struggles as a twice-widowed Civil War veteran who refused to take the loyalty oath to the Union
Today, the Beauregard-Keyes house is restored to its Victorian style and showcases items from Beauregard's family, as well as Keyes's studio and her collections of dolls and rare porcelain veilleuses (tea pots).